Updated: 6 years ago
I have removed this troublesome malware program from several computers in Chillicothe recently, so I thought I would share with others how to remove it from their computers.
For those who are unfamiliar, Personal Antivirus is malware that poses as an anti-virus software. It claims that it has found several viruses on your computer by displaying alerts in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. If you click on these alerts Personal Antivirus will be installed on your computer and will run automatically every time you start windows. This software is not a real anti-virus and these alerts are fake and are only shown to trick you into buying the program.
Here is an example of Screens you will see when infected with Personal Antivirus. There are some more screens in the image gallery below, just click on the images tab to view them.
If you see popups warning of viruses found on your computer and they are not from a known virus scanner that you have installed on your computer don't click on them. The first thing you should do is go down to your task bar, right click on any web browsers that you have open and click close. If the messages continue to pop up when you have no web browsers opened, this malware may already be installed.
If Personal Antivirus has been installed click here and follow the instructions provided to remove it. This article will walk you through downloading and installing Malwarebytes to remove Personal Antivirus. This will work but be sure that after you install Malware bytes that you run it's updates. If the Malwarebytes database isn't updated it may not find and remove Personal Antivirus. Once updated, Malwarebytes will be able to successfully remove Personal Antivirus.
If you are not able to access the Internet on the infected computer you will need to go about things a little differently. Use the following steps to install Malwarebytes on a computer that can't access the Internet.
1. Access the Internet from another computer and download the Malwarebytes installer from here. Don't run the program just download the file for now.
2. Download the most up to date database for Malwarebytes here. Don't run the program just download the file for now.
3. Copy the install file for Malwarebytes and the install file for Malwarebytes database to some form of removable media. Examples: Copy the files to a CD or Copy the file to a USB drive.
4. Place the media containing the install files into the infected computer.
5. Run the install file for Malwarebytes.
6. Run the install file for the Malwarebytes database.
7. Malwarebytes is now installed and updated, you can follow the instructions here starting with step 7. This is the step that has you perform a quick scan.